Friday, December 7, 2007

Productivity-as-a-Service

OK, OK, I know the -a-a-S suffix is the "new 2.0" (would that make it 2.0 2.0? 2.0-a-a-S? Is there any other buzzphrase I can cram in there?) but I found a good post on the Office 2.0 Database, via Scoble that collects all the free (and not-so-free) "2.0" and "on-demand" services that are available for working folks trying to leverage new tech to solve the age-old problem of more work/less time. It's interesting to look at the list, though, and see that quite a few of the most competitive, talked about tools--anything from social bookmarking to wikis to project and document management applications--are open-sourced.

I've used a couple of these next-generation web-enabled collaborative applications now for both both work and school projects, and here at ASBPE Cleveland Scott and I used a collaborative Google Doc for creating our chapter's promotional one-sheet.

Of course, we ran behind deadline on that one and I ended up bootlegging something together last-minute, but (to use one of my favorite acronyms of all time) that was more of a "PICNIC" problem -- Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

No comments: